SPEED ON Experiential Game
Applying the concept of ‘experiential’ design where user interaction takes place in a physical but computer-controlled environment., we are given a brief to create a sensor-based interface that allows users to interact through playing a game with an audio-visual environment. SPEED ON is an Arduino programmed game involving LED lights and audio sound effects.
Given a limited time, the goal of the game is to tap on the illuminated buttons as quick as possible before they get off. A game acts more than just a game, it benefits the players as well. In this case, SPEED ON tests the players’ muscle memory performance based on their speed and reflexes throughout the game.
Research & Development.
To get started, I did a research on existing Arduino projects to expand my knowledge about the program and platform, which has given me an overview of the target market and user.
The process of analysing my competitors has also given me inspirations and led me to brainstorm about innovations created by Arduino. After doing some basic ideation sketches and narrowing them down to my top few choices, I have decided on my idea and concept.
I started off creating a simple and smaller version of the game starting with a an Arduino board with three LEDs to have a quick exposure of the coding and planning of the game flow. Once the concept and game flow has been set, I went into further work developments.
These includes processes such game modal structure planning, material considerations, branding and identity, audio design and editing, fixing, soldering and wiring, coding and programming, etc. I mapped out my Arduino bread board and port pin digitally so that I could manage the structure and fixings better.
I did a prototype box to test and check if the design structure and placings of the gadgets work fine before fixing them onto my perspex box.
Once everything worked smoothly, I transferred my working gadgets and connected the wires from one prototype to the other.
The process required having 100% focus or I will find myself lost among the bunch of wires and connections. Yet, the work was truly worth it when everything was well-connected and worked out as planned.
A friend of mine saw me working on this project and asked if I was working on a bomb!
I conducted a user testing session so that I could observe and document my users’ reaction, behavior and thoughts about the game. I split the voluntary participants into a two groups, A and B.
I explained the goal of the game to participants in A group and on the other hand, I gave some time for B group participants to explore the game by themselves. This was to test if the game is self-explanatory.